How to Start a Vlog: A Creator's Guide
When it comes to content creation, video is king. With more than 70 billion YouTube Shorts views per day in 20231, the continued upward trajectory of video content across platforms like YouTube, TikTok, and Instagram shows that vlogs are the content of today’s social media landscape.
Today, we’re sharing our guide on how to start a vlog and create engaging content to reach your audience. Learn what vlogs are, how to choose where to publish your content, and get our picks on tools, equipment, and apps that will help with how to start vlogging like a pro.
What Are Vlogs and Why Start One?
You’ve probably watched tons of them and may not have realized it — so, what are vlogs?
A vlog, short for video blog, is a form of online content where creators share their experiences, thoughts, and perspectives through video recordings. Consider it like a blog post but instead of writing down your thoughts, you share them on camera. Vlogs often capture various aspects of the creator’s life, like daily activities, travels, personal challenges, building in public, and more.
Vlogs are typically characterized by their informal and authentic style, providing viewers with a more personal and direct connection to the content creator. With the rise of short form vertical content, today’s vlogs on social media are most commonly taking the form of YouTube Shorts, TikTok videos, and Instagram Reels.
Why Consider Starting a Vlog?
Whether you’re already active on social media or want to learn how to become a content creator, starting a vlog is a great place to begin. More than simply learning the “how” of creating content, its success will also depend on why you want to start your vlog to start producing the right kind of content to get noticed.
A few reasons to learn how to start a vlog are to:
- Express yourself: Starting a vlog gives you a platform to express yourself any way you want. It lets you showcase your creativity, share your opinions, and tell your story authentically and engagingly.
- Build a community: Vlogs can connect you with like-minded people who share similar interests or experiences. By sharing your vlog content and reaching viewers, you’re building a community of followers who appreciate your perspective and engage with your videos.
- Develop new skills: Learning how to start a vlog gives you the opportunity to develop new skills, including AI video editing, storytelling, and content creation. Experiment with different filming techniques and styles to improve your communication and become more comfortable in front of the camera.
- Tell your story: Starting a vlog serves as a kind of digital diary, capturing significant moments and memories in your life. Whether it's a milestone achievement, traveling somewhere exotic, or simply a day in your routine, vlogs become a visual record to share with others and look back on yourself.
- Monetize content: You can also learn how to start vlogging to generate a new source of income. You can join YouTube Shorts monetization programs, learn how to make money on TikTok, and even find out how to get brands to sponsor you on social media to bring in additional revenue from your media.
Learning how to create vlog content provides you with a dynamic and versatile medium offering a range of benefits. Whether you're just starting out or a social media star, starting a vlog can be a fulfilling and rewarding endeavor.
What Kind of Vlog Do You Want to Create?
Now that you know you want to learn how to start a vlog, what kind of vlog do you want to create? Identifying your niche is a crucial step in establishing a successful vlog. Choose a subject you are genuinely passionate about, whether it's travel, fashion, beauty, tech reviews, daily vlogs, or anything else. Focusing on a specific niche will help you attract a dedicated viewership interested in the content you create.
Common types of vlogs include:
- Daily vlogs
- Travel vlogs
- Lifestyle vlogs
- Tutorial and how-to vlogs
- Review vlogs
- Food and cooking vlogs
- Fitness and wellness challenge vlogs
- Storytime vlogs
- Haul vlogs
- Reaction vlogs
Vlog content is incredibly versatile, with endless areas of interest from which to choose. Choosing a topic you’re passionate about ensures you’re more likely to stick with your content creation journey while never running out of things to talk about and share.
How to Start a Vlog
Learning how to start a vlog opens up a world of creativity, self-expression, and community building. Whether you're eager to share your daily adventures, expertise, or unique perspective, knowing how to start vlogging successfully takes a strategic approach to ensure your content stands out.
Some essential considerations for how to start a vlog are:
- Choosing a platform for your vlog
- Tools and equipment for starting a vlog
- Useful apps for starting a vlog
1. Choosing a Platform for Your Vlog
The first step in how to start a vlog is choosing the right platform. Selecting the right platform is a critical decision that sets the stage for your vlog’s success. Ask yourself: Where is your target audience hanging out online?
Each platform caters to different audiences and offers distinct features. Consider your content style, target audience, and long-term goals when making this decision.
Popular platforms include:
- YouTube: As one of the largest social media sites in existence, YouTube is a versatile platform with a massive audience, allowing for various content styles and potential monetization opportunities. Here, you can publish horizontal long form content or try YouTube Shorts, its vertical short form content arm.
- TikTok: Known for short form videos, TikTok is ideal for quick, engaging content and can rapidly boost your visibility. Trends change rapidly, so be sure to stay on top of the times in order to maximize visibility and relevance for your content.
- Instagram Reels: Instagram's vertical short video format provides a platform for creative and visually appealing content. It makes a great option for vloggers looking to connect with an Instagram-centric audience that may be drawn to a little more aesthetically refined media versus the often more informal TikTok video.
- Other sites for vlogs: Other platforms like DailyMotion, Flickr, or niche sites for your audience provide a space for your vlogs and may offer a more focused community for specific interests.
As you determine how to start a vlog, evaluate the pros and cons of each platform to find the one that aligns best with your goals.
2. Tools and Equipment for Starting a Vlog
Another important element for how to start a vlog is investing in the right tools and equipment. In order to stand out in the crowded social media space, it’s crucial to deliver high-quality vlogs. While professional gear can enhance your production value, you don't need to break the bank to start.
Consider these essentials and how to maximize their performance at various price points:
- Camera: A good quality camera, whether a DSLR, mirrorless, or even a high-end smartphone, is needed for crisp and clear video footage.
- Microphone: Clear audio is as important as — if not more important than — sharp visuals. Invest in an external microphone for improved sound quality, or learn how to optimize audio recording on your smartphone.
- Lighting: Natural light works wonders, but additional lighting can enhance your videos, especially in dimly lit environments or studio setups. Even the stereotypical “ring light” can transform how you appear in your videos.
- Tripod: A stable and adjustable tripod is essential for keeping your camera steady and ensuring professional-looking shots.
Vlog Equipment Guides
Explore these equipment guides to find options that suit your budget and needs as you learn how to start a vlog:
- Choosing the Best TikTok Camera
- Choosing the Best Microphones for YouTube Videos
- How to Record Audio on iPhone That's High Quality
- How to Record Audio on Android Devices That's High Quality
- Choosing the Best Lighting for Video Recording
3. Useful Apps for Starting a Vlog
Today’s content creators are using a combination of native platform editing tools and third-party apps to streamline production. It’s a great method for how to keep video production cost low without sacrificing quality. For example, an app using AI video editing and effects for engaging content will level up your media and help it stand out against the rest.
Consider adding these apps into your workflow for a seamless experience as you learn how to start vlogging:
- MixCam: Ideal for filming, MixCam is a dual camera app that lets you shoot with your front and back cameras at the same time. It creates dynamic shots, letting you record vlogs, narrate, and show live reactions while you shoot what you see in real time.
- PicPlayPost: This powerful AI video editor app allows for everything from intuitive video collage creation to advanced AI video editing tools. PicPlayPost is an easy-to-use app for enhancing your videos and making them more shareable across social media. Put together photos and videos, adding creative elements to your vlogs.
- MixOver: The MixOver app is unique as a crossover video app. It’s the only camera app powered by AI that lets you crossover to another video without any editing! It’s an incredible way to harness the power of AI to boost your vlog content and engage viewers.
- MixCaptions: This video caption app allows you to generate, add, and style captions on your media to instantly improve social media accessibility and viewer engagement. Translate captions into many popular languages, transcribe imported video content, export SRT files, and more.
- MixVoice: This voice over app uses a powerful AI voice generator to help you narrate your vlogs with ease. Simply input your script, choose a voice, and determine settings like speech speed, accent, and emotions — you’re ready to go. It’s ideal for getting voice over done right in one take and creators not wanting to use their own voices to narrate their vlogs.
- iMovie (Mac): If you’re new to video editing and a Mac user, iMovie is a free video editing app for desktop and iPhone that is simple and intuitive to use for friction-free editing.
Integrate these apps into your vlogging toolkit to streamline your content creation process and generate professional quality vlogs no matter your experience level.
Learning how to start a vlog is fun and exciting. Start out the right way with a clear vision of what you want to create, where you want to publish your media, and the tools, equipment, and apps you may use along the way for better performance. Stay committed, stay creative, and enjoy this method of storytelling.